So, we all know that eating healthily is good for us. We hear it enough times. It’s something we ‘should’ do. But I want to give you a personal take; make it real to you. I want you to know how much of a difference eating healthily has made to me as a Hypermobility Syndrome (HMS) sufferer and I want to give you some tips on how you can start to feel this health and vitality in your own life.
Let’s look at the facts first:
Why eating healthily is particularly good for HMS sufferers:
• When our body is clean on the inside we are healthier on the outside.
Our organs of detoxification, including the liver and the kidneys, work 24/7 to keep our bodies clean. The more we eat natural food the less they have to work. This is great for two reasons: 1 – we look and feel better; 2 – our detoxification system can then spend its time doing internal ‘housework’ making sure every part of our body functions the very best it can. This means our joints can be kept healthy and recover from injury more quickly.
• Eating healthily can satisfy us with fewer calories.
The more healthily we eat the more weight we’ll drop. That’s great for general health but also really important for us HMS sufferers.
• Fresh food delivers us vitamins and minerals in abundance in a way that processed food cannot.
It’s very easy to be over-fed yet under-nourished when we eat a lot of processed food. If we enjoy plentiful fruit and vegetables we’ll be ensuring we deliver quality to our bodies. Vitamins and minerals are essential to ensure optimal health and functioning of our joints, tissues, bones and muscles.
• Eating more fresh fruit and vegetables, particularly greens can improve our digestion.
It’s all about having the right level of hydrochloric acid in your tummy – have a look at the writing of Victoria Boutenko for the details. Having efficient digestion is not just something that means we feel better – it also ensures we absorb more of the goodness from the food that we do eat. A double whammy!
• Because our body is working less, we have more energy.
We look better and we feel better – a great way to make sure we are experiencing life in the best possible way we can at any given time.
• Because we have more energy and look better, we feel better. I know how easy it is to feel down when you have HMS. Feeling brighter on a daily basis and being happier when we look in the mirror are two all-important factors when it comes to feeling better every day.
• We have less allergic response.
There are many, less healthy, foodstuffs that can cause allergies. (You can find out about the more common of these – wheat and dairy – by googling them or reading an author like Patrick Holford.) Allergies do not just show up as skin or breathing problems, they also clog up all the processes of our bodies, along with lowering our health and vitality generally. If we give our body a break from these we can function at a much more healthy level.
• The body was designed for the natural sugar in fruit.
Eating less processed sugar and replacing it with natural sugar puts so much less stress on the body. Our system was not meant to handle processed sugar and getting it cleaned out of the body day in day out really takes its toll. Noticed how you get more spots when you eat a lot of chocolate? It’s because the skin is an organ of detoxification and if the other organs in the body that clear unnatural foodstuffs are overloaded then the toxins will be pushed out through your skin.
• Natural water without having to remember to carry a bottle with you everywhere!
Our bodies need water to function properly. Without it, all our vital systems lack oxygen and just can’t work properly. It affects our joints, muscles and connective tissues too – all those things that we want to keep in the best state possible. If we eat more fruit and vegetables we’ll get water in its natural state – packaged inside some beautifully sweet-tasting fruit!